Tobacco Prevention and Control
Tobacco use remains the leading preventable cause of death and disease in the United States. Smoking contributes to several diseases and conditions, including lung disease, cancer, heart disease, and stroke. With the introduction of electronic vapor products, the use of nicotine products continues to rise each year.
The Tobacco Prevention and Control Program focuses on improving the health of Miami-Dade County residents by preventing and reducing the use of tobacco and nicotine products through policy, system, and environmental changes under four main goal areas:
- Prevent Initiation of Tobacco Use Among Youth and Young Adults
- Eliminate Exposure to Secondhand Smoke
- Promote Quitting Among Adults and Youth
- Maintain the County Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT) Chapter and Tobacco Free Partnership
The Tobacco Prevention and Control Program provides free technical support to help in the creation and implementation of tobacco free policies in addition to providing community presentations, educational material, and assistance with community events. For more information on the program or to request assistance, please call 305-278-0442.
Tobacco Free Florida’s Quit Your Way Program provides free tools and services which can help with quitting tobacco use and overcoming nicotine addiction. To learn more about Tobacco Free Florida’s Quit Your Way services, please visit www.TobaccoFreeFlorida.com or call 1-877-U-CAN-NOW (1-877-822-6669).
The Consortium for a Healthier Miami-Dade Tobacco-Free Workgroup works to decrease exposure to secondhand smoke, tobacco, and nicotine use in Miami-Dade County. It is committed to creating policy changes to minimize tobacco use and promote healthier learning, working and living environments. If you are interested in learning more about the county tobacco free partnership or want to become a member, please visit www.healthymiamidade.org/committees/tobacco-free-workgroup/.
Students Working Against Tobacco
Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT) is Florida’s statewide youth organization to mobilize, educate, and equip Florida youth to revolt against and de-glamorize “Big Tobacco”. The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County coordinates the Miami-Dade SWAT Chapter which consists of middle and high school and community-based clubs. For more information on Students Working Against Tobacco please visit, www.swatflorida.com. If you are interested in becoming a member or working with the Miami-Dade SWAT Chapter, please call 305-278-0442.
- Tobacco Free Florida TobaccoFreeFlorida.com
- Students Working Against Tobacco swatflorida.com
- Florida AHEC Network http://www.ahectobacco.com/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/index.htm
- Surgeon General’s Advisory on E-cigarette Use Among Youth https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/surgeon-general-advisory/index.html
- S. Food and Drug Administration Center for Tobacco Products https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products
- Florida Tobacco Prevention Training Program https://sites.google.com/palmbeachschools.org/tobacco-home
- American Lung Association http://www.lung.org/
- American Heart Association http://www.heart.org/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/